70s & 80s memories of Breakfast at McDonald's

What is it about McDonald's that makes people lifelong fans? I'm not a fan of everything the company does by a longshot, but there's some kind of connection there that keeps me tethered to them. I find myself always being somewhat interested and invested in what they do.

I think after 50 plus trips around the sun I've finally figured it out, and it has to do with nostalgia. I have lots of great memories of McDonald's from the 70s and 80s, but my memories of McDonald's breakfast are among the most vivid.

As a 70s and 80s kid..
A few times a year, my Dad would wake me up early and tell me he was driving me to school. We would leave the house at the crack of dawn and he'd surprise me by stopping at McDonald's.

We would walk in those doors and the ladies behind the counter would start enthusiastically greeting my Dad by name. They would exclaim things like "Is this your Son?!?" They would then fawn over me for a bit, sliding multiple packs of McDonaldland cookies across the counter, as well as the occasional Happy Meal toy.


My Old Man had some sort of a McDonald's promotional mug that he would either get free refills on, or for mere pennies. I remember him being super proud of that mug, and he would boast about the deal he was getting every time he used it. 

Dad's breakfast order usually consisted of some hot cakes and sausage, or a couple breakfast sandwiches. I would always get an Egg McMuffin with chocolate milk or orange juice.


And then there was the vibe of the place. The whole joint smelled of coffee and breakfasty goodness. I remember vivid colors of 
yellow, white and red. The floors were these medium to off brown colored tiles, which directed your attention back upward towards the McDonaldland artwork and decorations hung throughout the restaurant.

I would usually scarf down my breakfast and then make a beeline out to the McDonaldland playground. I would jump around inside the big steel Barred Grimace, take a ride on one of the little hamburger spring rides, and hit the slide a couple of times. When I got bored with that, I would head back inside to finish off my drink. Dad would hand me the comic strips to read, while he finished reading his paper

I remember taking a long look around on many occasions thinking..

"This is exactly what I want to do when I'm Old! Come to McDonald's every morning, read the paper, and hang out with other old guys."

Back in the day, it was such a calm and relaxed atmosphere with incredible food and fun. To me, it seemed like absolute heaven.

Lots of colorful locals frequented that McDonald's every morning. Many of them knew my old man by name, which was no shock to me. My Dad knew a lot of people in town, as he owned and operated a barbershop there for the better part of 30 years.

One morning regular was a dear friend of the family named Sidney Joseph. He was around my Dad's age and had a couple of daughters I was friends with. Sidney could be found in McDonald's every weekday morning before 8:00 AM, with two newspapers laid out in front of him. He would bring scissors and an envelope from home for cutting coupons, articles, and the occasional comic he found amusing.

This was during a time when restaurants still had smoking sections, which is where Sidney always sat. His table was at the edge closest to the non-smoking section, so he could more easily converse with other folks who didn't smoke. Sidney did not smoke cigarettes as he was a pipe smoker. I remember watching with great interest and fascination as he packed his pipe, lit it, and proceeded with his morning ritual of reading and dissecting the newspapers.

Sidney would sit there for hours on end, occasionally walking up to the counter to get another coffee. He'd chat with the other locals and make small talk with anyone who cared to do the same. My Dad would always stop by before leaving, and we'd briefly chat with him. As we parted ways, he would always gently shake my hand and leave me with some words of wisdom. 

Sidney had a catchphrase that he'd utter to myself and others. It was five simple words, but I'd find them to have a profound effect on my philosophy and outlook on life. The catchphrase he would sincerely share was..

"Hey.. be GOOD to yourself".

He always included that "Hey" which always made me hyperfocus on him. I could see even as a young boy that he truly meant what he was saying. I knew what he was telling me carried importance, even if I didn't understand the gravity it held at that time.

Many years later when I was married with a couple kids, my wife and I were in town visiting my folks. We popped into that very same McDonald's located in midtown Fort Collins for some breakfast. Lo and behold, Sidney was sitting at that same table, dissecting the local newspapers! We greeted him and talked for a few minutes, catching up on how each others families were doing. Once again as we parted ways, he shook our hands and he uttered those words I came to revere.. "Hey.. be good to yourselves".

Sadly, Sidney passed away in April 2022 and the world is a little less kind and quirky without him. I'll always remember that pleasant and caring gentleman, not to mention the sweet smell of his pipe tobacco that would occasionally drift by in the air.


I recently had a discussion with my Mom about these morning excursions and how much they meant to me, when we suddenly both came to a realization. We agreed my old man probably frequented that McDonald's on a regular basis unbeknownst to the rest of my family. 

I realize now that they treated my Dad like a king because he was one of their regulars. He really did look like he felt at home there, and when he brought me along, so did I.

There are McDonald's I have frequented for breakfast over the years, but none that ever felt like the one in my hometown of Fort Collins Colorado. I would love to pull up a table at my local McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin & coffee, shooting the breeze with some other 'Old Guys' my age. 

However, there is a wrinkle in my lifelong plan of spending my middle age relaxing at McDonald's for breakfast. I've yet to find one nearby that I care to spend any amount of time in. In fact, I just uploaded an article on this very subject entitled:

'McDonald's ruined my lifelong dream for middle age'

Make sure to check it out if you have a chance.