Stepping on the scale on this 49th day of lockdown


I've been avoiding it, but I made myself step on the scale today. The verdict.. I've gained 4.6 pounds since sheltering in place. It's not like I've been sitting around either.  Heck.. I've been downright busy for a good part of it. Looking closely at everything in retrospect, I can boil it down to pretty much sugar and carbs.

When you go from eating under 100 grams of net carbs per day, to an abundance of them, you pack on the weight unbelievably fast. My only saving grace is how active I've been around the house with projects, and an increase in activity thanks to biking, walking and swimming. I have no doubt in my mind that this would be 10 pounds or more I would have gained, if I had just been sitting around for the last 49 days.

Much like I thought in my post yesterday, I was able to jump right back into intermittent fasting with no problems. Today I didn't eat my first meal until 2:00 p.m., creating an 18-hour fast! Seeing the numbers on the scale even motivated me to eat a sensible lunch. I threw together a 'Ghetto Charcuterie' board together as you can see below..


Ghetto Charcuterie Board
Smoked Kippers, meats, cheeses, celery, olives, pickles & nuts

Tons of protein and less than 5 grams of net carbs! This filled me up quick, and I even had to put most of the nuts back into the jar I got them from. I had forgotten how different it feels to eat this way. I actually felt energized after lunch instead of falling asleep.

In recent weeks I would eat breakfast at 9:00 a.m., lunch at 11:00 or noon, and would snack mindlessly until dinner. I had also gotten back in the habit of eating dessert most nights. I was always hungry when I ate more carbs. I knew my eating habits would suffer a bit when this all started, but I really began going off the rails, and I'm glad I caught myself sooner than later. Hopefully changing course can get me back on track, and maybe even slowly losing weight once again.