Lockdown Day 31 - The new way I grocery shop



Well, it was shopping day once again, so I ventured out into the world yesterday.  It's actually a pretty easy process.  We order our groceries via the Walmart shopping app, and simply go to pick them up at our designated time. Heck, you don't even have to sign for the items anymore as the attendant does it for you.  The real fun comes when I get home.  Here's the Modus Operandi involved..

Once I get home I back into the driveway.  I then open up the tailgate of my truck that's sitting in the garage.  The tailgate serves as my table where I transfer all of the groceries to.  One by one, I physically spray each item with antibacterial cleaner, or use antibacterial cloths to wipe every inch of the packages.  I then move the clean items while still wet, to clean laundry baskets.  After the baskets are full, I move them inside of the house.  Afterward, I throw the shopping bags out, wipe down the tailgate with sanitizer, put the groceries away, take a shower, and put on a new change of clothes.

Overkill?  Some may say so, but we have a person at high risk in the household, so better safe than sorry.  Plus, you have no idea who may have touched or God forbid.. coughed on your groceries inside the store.  Something new I'm doing now is wiping down frozen goods as well.  I watched a video from a Doctor that said past strains of the Corona virus have been found to live for up to two years after being frozen!

Finally, what about fruit? This same doctor said to wash your vegetables like your hands. Basically, a sink full of soapy water is what I drop the oranges, apples, potatoes, etc into.  I then wash each one for about 20 seconds and rinse.  If I can do it.. I will open up certain packages and dump the contents into containers that are not compromised.  You can do this with pasta, grains, cereal, sodas, etc.  That way, you can just immediately throw the package away.  It's such a tedious process, but this is our new normal for now.  Heck.. it's not like I don't have enough time right now to take these extra steps.

So that was my morning.  It rained almost all day, so I spent the rest of the day on the couch writing.  I helped my bride with dinner and cooked some pork chops.  She did the heavy lifting by cooking up some Puerto Rican Rice and Beans, so I cleaned up after dinner.  That's all for now folks. Not the most exciting post I know, but maybe it can help someone out there tweak their own shopping method, to make it more safe and efficient.  Until tomorrow..