Corona Virus COVID-19 Lockdown Day 8 - Venturing into the unknown for the 1st time in a week


As you've noticed by my blog post titles every day, My family is pretty much locked down. My Bride has already been locked down and isolated for three weeks due to health risks. The rest of us have been locked down for one week now. We go outside for a walks, and have been spending lots of time in the pool to get fresh air and exercise.

Well yesterday.. I actually ventured out of the neighborhood for the first time in a week. I had to drop off a package at the post office, but I bought and applied postage online so as to expedite my trip. When I got there, I saw a line stretched outside of the door.  They weren't allowing more than 5 people in line at one time and also had tape on the floor in the shape of an X every six feet for people to stand on to keep their distance from other customers.

Half of the people I saw were wearing gloves and masks. The other half were reading the warnings and instructions posted everywhere with attitude, rolling their eyes at the inconvenience it was going to cause them. Some people were even purposely ignoring the designated spaces to stand on, noticeably irritated. It was all quite surreal.  I stepped inside, tossed my package into a bin slated for packages with prepaid postage and made haste getting back to my car.

I had originally wanted to stop at the convenience store to pick up some Ben and Jerry's for me and my bride, but the whole scene at the Post Office only made me want to get back home and away from the public.


Here's what I did with the rest of my day..
  • Conquered the cloudy pool water problem. (too much pollen.. not enough chlorine)
  • Installed new toilet seat in the spare bathroom
  • Oiled squeaky door hinges throughout the house
  • Installed hooks on the garage ceiling to hang bikes from
  • Spent the afternoon cleaning & tuning up our Beach Cruisers for me and my Bride.

Schwinn and Electra
My Bride's Schwinn LuLu and my 2000 New Belgium Fat Tire Bike

I spent the whole afternoon getting our Beach Cruisers in shape and ride ready.  Today I will begin breaking my legs in around the neighborhood.  Once I can go on half hour rides with ease, I wanted to start hitting up bike trails, but now I've changed my mind on that.  Aside from its obvious benefits, exercise in any form is also incredibly good for your mental health, so I plan on kicking up my activity levels even more starting today.

Take care friends, and be good to yourselves.