The 25th Anniversary of the Big Mac

To my readers:
Rest assured that this blog is not becoming a McDonald's niche blog. I recently penned an article about my McDonald's memories that was SO full of content, I've broken it down into six different articles thus far. Random retro uploading of content will commence soon. Thank you.


I vividly remember the 25th anniversary of the Big Mac. If I recall correctly, it took place in 1992 and concluded in early 1993. I scored more than a few 25 cent Big Macs with the great promotion they were pushing at the time. In fact, I still have a 25th Anniversary Big Mac Box (or two) in my possession. My most pristine box that you see below, graces a shelf in my office with some other fast food memorabilia.

Old 25th Anniversary Big Mac Box

Old 25th Anniversary Big Mac Box


1993 Big Mac 25th Anniversary commercial


As much as I remember that 25th Anniversary of the Big Mac, for the life of me I could not remember when the 50th Anniversary rolled around. Going off of the Big Mac's introduction in 1967, it should have happened in 2017.

Then it dawned on me that 2017 was an incredibly crazy year for me. I relocated nearly 2000 miles cross country and was deep into discovering all of the great eateries located around the Orlando area. However, a couple quick internet searches on this milestone refreshed my memory pretty quickly. For the 50th anniversary, they made a larger 'Grand Big Mac' to commemorate the occasion. Also available with purchase, were five different Big Mac Coins minted specially for the occasion.

While the thought of a larger Big Mac excited me to no end, I sadly learned of the promotion after the fact. However, those specially minted Big Mac coins have been on my radar lately, as you can still buy them for a song on eBay. If I pick up a set, I'll make sure to share more info about them here.