Corona Virus COVID-19 Lockdown Day 4. SCHWINN-ing


Another day in the books.  Here's what I did yesterday..

  • Treated weeds in back and side yard
  • Cleared home AC drip pipe
  • Fixed slow draining bathroom sink
  • Treated one of my trees for fungus
  • Cleaned pool and added chlorine
  • Worked on my Schwinn for a couple of hours
  • Made dinner (Macaroni and Cheese with pork chops)
  • Swam with my bride for about an hour after dinner

The work on my 63' Schwinn American Deluxe Cruiser went great and was even a bit therapeutic.  This was my late Brother's bike that has been sitting up on my garage wall for the last three years.  In actuality, I repainted the bike in the fall of 2018.  However, for some reason unbeknownst to me, I kept putting off finishing the project and never began reassembling the bike.  



I guess it was simply too hard for me to move forward on putting it back together until now.  I have no idea why dealing with my pain manifested in procrastinating for this long.  To tell you the truth, I don't even feel the need to understand it.  On day one of our self quarantine, I simply looked up at the wall where the old gal sat and said to myself "That's it..  it's been long enough".

Today I polished the cranks that you see in this picture, packed the bearings, reinstalled them and attached the pedals.  I mounted the tires and installed the wheels, cleaned & installed the chain as well as the chain guard.  And then suddenly, right before dinner.. the bike was rideable!  It actually is starting to look like a bike again.  All it needs is a seat, and a couple little odds and ends, but after tomorrow.. it will be 95% complete.  I will add a picture tomorrow of what she looks like, and will post several pictures once she is finally complete.

I got a lot done today, but this bike project has truly taken my mind off of my problems and has been an incredible escape from reality.  I look forward to sharing the progress with you here soon.