One Month Review - G-SHOCK GW-M5610U Tough Solar

I recently bought a new G-Shock for myself in January 2023. The main reason, was because I felt my old G-SHOCK of eleven years and succinctly, the best watch I've ever owned had earned a well deserved rest and refurbishment. Here are my thoughts about the updated GW-M5610U thus far..


The break in period
It was odd at first transitioning into this watch. The main reason for this was the feel of the timepiece. I was used to my hefty GW-M530A which was a bulky and stout watch for sure. My new 5610 is so much lighter with a lower profile, it actually threw me off. More than a few times, I found myself checking my wrist after leaving the house to see if I was even wearing it. It sits so incredibly light on the wrist, I really couldn't feel it at first. 

The funniest thing, is that I have found myself subconsciously tucking my arm to my side as I walk around corners and through narrow doorways. It's obviously something I have been doing over the last decade or so, due to the higher profile of my old M530A. When I think back to when I started wearing my old G-SHOCK, I do remember being horrified at how hard I would repeatedly smack the watch while walking around corners. Once I learned how incredibly tough G-SHOCKs indeed were, I never gave it a second thought thereafter.

Still Amazing
The watch simply does not lose or gain time since it updates to the Atomic Clock in Fort Collins Colorado once every 24 hours. This is one of my favorite things about these Multi Band 6 models. I've also been using the heck out of the stopwatch lately. I stopped using that feature on my old G-SHOCK because the button that controlled this function stopped working. Finally, the thought of a worry free solar powered watch with a battery life that can extend well beyond a decade, always gives me great satisfaction as well.

I initially had my doubts this watch would hold up as well as my old M530A. These fears were due to the obviously lighter and less dense plastic all of the watch parts are cast from. That being said, I have already put this watch through the wringer and it is surpassing my expectations in every way.

Seconds before its recent baptism in the Bahamas

The type of work I do subjects my timepiece to all kinds of abuse. In the last month, it has been struck by a steel door on a shipping container that the wind caught and blew my way. It has been covered in mud and dirt several times, and has been scrapped against walls, shelves and doorways in very enclosed areas. Just earlier this week, the watch took a good collision with a brick wall.

With all of that, close inspection of my watch shows nothing out of the ordinary. The crystal is still scratch free, but that's not a big surprise with how far it's inset below the watch face. The band is also holding up well, with no scratches, nicks, cuts, etc. 
 
One thing I've noticed. is that soap scum builds up quite quickly on the watch band. However, a couple drops of shampoo and a quick scrub with a fingernail brush once a week, makes short work of the dull white haze. 

One of many Florida Lawncare sessions in its future

The first real hard hit that this watch took, was to the right edge of the face. It peeled off a very fine piece of plastic that was still attached, probably not even as thick as a piece of hair. I inspected the watch closely at the end of the day and couldn't pinpoint where the impact was. Since then, I've struck the watch repeatedly in the same area. revealing visible nicks immediately after. 

The most amazing thing however, is that these nicks smooth out considerably as time passes, almost as if its made from a self healing composite plastic! I personally can notice the less than perfect edge, but only under magnification, or within three inches of my eyes. Its most definitely not noticeable to anyone else, and is still a sharp looking watch. It has to do with the type of plastic used on these watches. Its lightweight with a softer feel to it, which probably makes for an incredibly impact resistant material. 

So all in all, this watch has already been put through an amazing amount of abuse, and I am more than happy with it. It has been mercilessly beat at work, in the yard, under my cars, and even enjoyed a quick excursion to the Bahamas early in February. I foresee my new CASIO and I having a very long relationship, creating lots of new memories along the way.  


If interested, you can buy these watches for a song on Amazon! 
Both the standard G-SHOCK and 'Tough Solar' links are listed below..

...