My new daily timepiece. The G-SHOCK Square

G-SHOCK Square
Model GW-M5610U

During the writing of my last post about my old CASIO 3405 GW-M530A, I decided to give my daily wearer of eleven years, a much deserved rest and refurbishment. This left me with somewhat of a dilemma, which was what to do for a new daily timepiece. 

I coveted that old G-SHOCK when it was first released, so my wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift. It traveled with me from coast-to-coast, overseas, and to other countries. I never set out to deliberately push a watch to its limits or put its existence in grave danger, it's just a byproduct of being strapped to my wrist and the lifestyle I lead.

My new watch is meant to sit atop my wrist about 80% of the time. I have a physical job, and much of my free time includes lots of physical activity, both of which tend to beat the living snot out of any timepiece I wear. I have many watches in my collection, but none that will stand up to the abuse my old 'CASIO Tough Solar' withstood. Yes, the new watch would have some big shoes to fill.

'The Beater Watch'
This is a term that gets thrown around an awful lot in the watch collecting community, and it's one that I'm personally not a fan of. It's a phrase that sometimes gives the impression that one is apathetic towards any damage the watch may sustain, because the timepiece isn't of much value to them anyway. Some also view beater watches as largely disposable.

The express reason my old CASIO G-SHOCK became my daily wearer, was because of the abuse it could withstand while never missing a beat. However, I would have been gutted if it were ever damaged beyond repair. For that reason I prefer to call this type of watch my 'Workhorse'.

What I require in a 'Workhorse'
My last watch was truly a marvel of engineering. And, CASIO has a huge line of G-SHOCKS that have incredible track records. As I perused the G-SHOCK website, my head began spinning at the seemingly countless options that lie before me. So I stepped back and asked myself what I really need in a 'Workhorse'.

Apocalyptical Toughness
My new watch needed to be shock resistant, with the ability to withstand heat, cold, water, and chemicals. All of this without damaging any part of the watch. Honestly, this is what the G-SHOCK is made for. It's the reason why you see so many of them present in the armed services and law enforcement.

Perfect maintenance free timekeeping
I must admit I have gotten spoiled over the last decade, never having to adjust the time on my G-SHOCK. It syncs with the nearest atomic clock nightly, and even adjusts to daylight savings time. The atomic clock is what news sources sync their time with. The company I work for has their computer system linked to the atomic clock as well. I never get sick of standing behind my workmates waiting to clock in for their shift. I watch my G-SHOCK, and let them know the exact second when they can punch in for the day. Some of them now ask me for the time to see if they are ahead of schedule or running late. Like me, they they all know that my G-SHOCK is always 100% accurate.

Aesthetics
As far as men's watches go, a 6 inch wrist is considered to be on the smaller side, while a 7&1/4 inches and up are considered larger. I fall right in between both of those measurements, so there's not too many watches that look too big or small on my wrist. Therefore, the color, shape, and detailing of the watch just has to speak to me before I'll buy it. As a general rule though, I love a clean, simple, retro looking timepiece.

Features
My needs for my new workhorse are pretty straight forward and standard on many CASIOS. I require a full auto calendar, stopwatch, solar power, alarm, and a good backlight. I adore a high performing backlight on my watch. CASIO has good technology in this regard, but that feature definitely suffers on cheaper models of their watches.



Where it all began..
The original G-SHOCK DW-5000C

So as you can see, the original looks very similar to my new GW-M5610U. As soon as I saw that the new updated version of this watch features a red stripe as an homage to the original, I new my search was complete. 




Already a bargain at this price point, I pulled the trigger and bought it on Amazon. I had a ton of Amazon points saved, so I only paid around fifty dollars total for this wonderful retro piece. Best watch deal I've scored so far in 2023!

This watch has every feature I wanted, and even sports a bolder white LED backlight. I'm really shocked I hadn't opted to jump into the world of 'G-SHOCK squares' sooner, but I really have only begun actively expanding my CASIO collection in recent years.

This watch is a beast and a proven workhorse. G-SHOCK watches must pass the company's "Triple 10 test" meaning, they can withstand a 10 meter drop, are water resistant to 10 bar (10 meters or 330 feet), and have a battery life of 10 years.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that it will serve me well. The only cause for concern I have, is in regards to the watch strap. it is definitely a lot thinner than the straps on my M5000 series of G-SHOCKS, but I guess time will tell in this regard.

My only problem now, is that this may have started me down the path of procuring more G-SHOCKS, and I may or may not have already ordered a retro limited edition G-SHOCK Square. I will share that with you here soon, so stay tuned..