Crap that's stuck in my head. File # 121.. "Chicka Boom Chicka Boom, Don't you just love it?"

I remember uttering the phrase "Chicka Boom Chicka Boom, Don't you just love it" in the early 70's when I was a very young boy.  In fact, I remember folks singing that tune for the entire decade of the 70's!  I remember my old man singing it whenever he was in a really good mood.  My brother, cousins, aunts, uncle's, friends, heck.. everyone I knew would sing that chorus!

I think it's safe to say that after 1980, I never heard the phrase mentioned ever again until a couple of months ago.  I was out with my golfing buddies one afternoon, and when one of them sunk a twelve foot putt on the green, he enthusiastically exclaimed "Chicka Boom Chicka Boom.. Don'tcha just love it?"  Immediately the dusty file in my memory banks was opened, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since.

Now.. thanks to the wonders of the internet, I've not only learned the history of the song, but have found the single on You Tube!  The song was released in 1971 and was sung by Dick Monga who went by the name of  Daddy Dewdrop.  He originally recorded the song for the cartoon "Sabrina and the Groovie Goolies", but it somehow became a hit, and peaked at #9 on the charts that year.  Monga is a lifetime musician, and while Chicka Boom may have been his biggest success that he sung, he has also written hit songs for Tom Jones, Kenny Rogers, Sammy Davis Jr, Ringo Starr, and many others.  Apparently he still goes by the moniker of Daddy Dewdrop, and.. last time I heard, he was still releasing albums, with his most recent entitled "This Time".

Below is a recording of his hit single, as well as the original Groovie Goolies version.  Please be aware that once you listen to this song, the chorus may be permanently burned into your brain if it hasn't been already.