Retro Dads I grew up wanting to emulate

I always had a sneaking suspicion that I was going to be a Dad when I grew up. With that ever present in my mind, there were certain TV Dads I watched while growing up that made quite an impression on me.  Here's a few of them..


Hugh Beaumont
aka - Ward Cleaver


Who didn't want to have a family like the Cleavers from Leave it to Beaver? From a very young age, I realized that if a father tried to embody Ward Cleaver's parenting style, they couldn't go wrong. He was stern, empathetic, and showed humility when he needed to. A little stiff perhaps.. but he had a sophisticated manner about him, and he oozed class. Most folks don't realize Hugh Beaumont was very educated, had a masters degree in theology, and was licensed to preach for the Methodist church. Come to think of it.. it wouldn't surprise me if he incorporated a bit of himself into his Ward Cleaver character!




Robert Young
aka - Jim Anderson


I used to love watching Father Knows Best. In fact.. that sitcom title happens to be my personal mantra!! I used to love the intro of the show with that perfect looking house and white picket fence. I always got a kick out of how little everyday problems would get to Jim Anderson like anyone else, but he always did a pretty good job staying as even tempered as he could. The attention he gave to his kids problems always impressed me as well. Now as a married father of three, I adore how the producers of the series always made a point to show that the "magic" was still alive and well in Jim and Margaret Andersons relationship, even in the midst of raising three kids.



Andy Griffith
aka - Andy Taylor


I always enjoyed observing Andy Taylor's parenting techniques. He may have been a simple country boy, but was also as sharp as a tack. He would practice creative problem solving, and raised his son to be moral and compassionate.

The very first season of The Andy Griffith show portrayed Andy Taylor as a giddy country bumpkin. From the second season on however, Andy Griffith personally made noticeable changes to the character he played, resulting in a more serious and level headed Andy.

I know it may sound funny to some, but I immensely respected these fictional characters as a child. To tell you the truth, I still do! Maybe I should clarify that statement by saying it's not so much the characters that I respect, as it is their ideals, morals, and integrity. It's always a good thing to try and improve upon yourself and become a better person. As a father of three, I can't see how you could go wrong with trying to emulate any of these three fictional Dad's parenting techniques!

Looking back on it, are there any fictional characters that helped to mold your personality or ideals?