Vintage Swingline stapler

Here's yet another example of how things just aren't made as good as they used to be. While there's a very good chance that this Swingline stapler is older than yours truly, it still works as if it were new. Doesn't this look like something you'd see on a desk in the television series Mad Men?





I just used this old Swingline to perform a repair on a handbag for my daughter.  A small square of Velcro which held the flap securely in place fell off, and the stapler had no problem fastening a new piece to the thick plastic material.  I camouflaged the staples with a little black paint, and voila.. the result was a good looking repair that will keep the velcro in place longer than any glue would.

I can't tell you how many staplers I've had to replace at work in the last year and a half.  The staplers I use on a daily basis are constructed with about 90% plastic, and usually aren't used to staple any more than three sheets at a time.

Like my father and grandfather said long before I did..

"They just don't make em' like they used to".