5 old song titles that have a totally different meaning today in 2014

In this day and age, it seems like more and more folks are becoming ever more efficient in twisting perfectly innocent phrases into double entendres. Case in point.. musical lyrics and song titles. These tend to be big targets for jokers, but also inadvertently manifest double meanings with younger people.

The song titles I've listed below are ones that I've personally seen take on a whole new meaning since their inception way back in the day. I've seen people joke about them, and young people unfamiliar with the songs, being shocked upon hearing them. Enjoy..


"Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver
Since the legalization of marijuana, Colorado is fast becoming the butt for all kinds of jokes and puns nationwide. This song title doesn't help.

"Messin' With the Kid" by The Blues Brothers
A younger co-worker of mine couldn't believe his ears when another Blues Brothers fan and I shared that 'Messin' with the kid' was one of our favorite songs. As his mouth sat agape, we explained it was a Blues Brothers cover of the 1960 Junior Wells song, with "The Kid" being a nickname for Wells.

"Kissin' Cousins" by Elvis
I've heard many a person respond in disgust to the title of this song. Calm down folks.. the term "Kissing Cousins" is an old saying that refers to friends or relatives that one is close enough with, to greet with a kiss.

“Hand in My Pocket” by Alanis Morissette
I've heard guys and girls sing the title of this song in various bawdy ways. I always interpreted the lyric about on hand in her pocket to symbolizing stability while the other hand, or.. the things around her happen to be hectic and crazy.

"Puff the Magic Dragon"
Shortly after this songs release, many tried to say that this song was veiled to symbolize marijuana use. I never thought of this song in that way, even after the urban legend was told to me by friends. I was one of the few kids that refused to believe the story, largely in part to my fourth grade music teacher. While teaching this song to my music class, our teacher explained to us that the song was based on a poem from the 50s about a pet dragon. Group members Peter Yarrow, Paul Stookey, and Mary Travers have all adamantly denied the unsubstantiated claims even to this day.

I could go on and on with this list, but I'm afraid the only other songs that come to mind at the moment, are ones that I've heard countless people twist into some pretty raunchy double meanings. If I can think of some less risque' entendres, I'll make sure to create another list like this one in the near future.