Biscuits and Gravy.. Pizza?!?

I'm currently aggregating old content here to the RetroDad.com from various old blogs and websites I've hosted. Here's an old post about one of the most unique pizzas I've eaten in the last decade..


Folcarelli's Biscuit and Gravy Pizza
Original post date - June, 26 2016 

A new pizza restaurant called Folcarelli's has opened up in Greeley Colorado.  And while I haven't had a chance to dine there yet, I did stop in after work last Friday to get a couple of pizzas to go.

Perusing their menu online the day before, something caught my eye, a Biscuit and Gravy Pizza!  Pizza is already my favorite comfort food. Biscuits & Gravy are my go-to breakfast comfort food, so it was a no brainer to order one up on my inaugural visit to Folcarelli's! Here's what I found.


Folcarelli's Biscuit and Gravy Pizza


The verdict..

4 out of 5 Slices!


Upon first look, I was very impressed with the appearance of my pie. I must admit that it appeared a bit different than I imagined, but I was very excited to dig in. I don't know why I expected it not to have any cheese, but I'm glad it did. 

The pizza had a sausage gravy base, mozzarella cheese, pork sausage, bacon and a wee bit of cheddar cheese. I wasn't aware at the time, but you can also choose to get either smoked or Italian sausage instead of the pork sausage.



The sausage gravy base was wonderful and paired nicely with the sausage and bacon. The layer of cheese above mellowed everything out, and made for an incredibly rich and creamy experience. While there's a chance for the flavor combo to get a bit too full flavored, it did not because of the great pizza crust.

As you can see, while the crust looks heavy and bready from the outside, the inner workings of the crust reveal a beautiful alveolation, which makes for a nice light crust with just the right amount of pull. 


A pizza like this also risks getting doughy or soggy, and I'm happy to say it was neither. The bottom crust was crispy, and there was no gummy layer of crust due to the generous layer of sausage.  

All in all this was a great pie, and I will definitely be feasting on another very soon. The price was fair at $15.99 for a medium, and is available in all sizes up to an XL which will run you $22.99.

The only reason I didn't give the pizza 5 out of 5 slices, is due to a preconceived notion on my part. I've eaten Chicago styles of pizza with an end crust interior consistency very similar to that of a fluffy biscuit. 

I've also had crusts that lacked the fluffy consistency, but tasted just like a biscuit with a nice buttery flavor. I guess I was hoping for a crust with some or all of those attributes. That being said, I must state that this is still a wonderful, unique and tasty pie.

Side note: With two locations in Montgomery Alabama, the Greeley Colorado store was the third in the company's growing chain. One can't help but think their Southern roots were the inspiration for the Biscuit and Gravy Pizza, and I for one was incredibly happy when they opened a store in Northern Colorado. 

UPDATE - August 2023Sadly, the Colorado location closed several years ago, and a Google search reflects that the Alabama stores are permanently closed as well. 

I personally have yet to find another pizzeria daring enough to sell a Biscuit & Gravy Pizza. It's a shame too, as it was a pizza I really loved. Therefore, I feel it my duty to try and recreate it in some form at home. Stay tuned..