The BEST watch I've ever owned.. the CASIO G-Shock 3405 GW-M530A


CASIO 3405 GW-M530A 
G-SHOCK Tough Solar

I truly believe.. hands down..
without a single solitary doubt..
 that this watch is the G.O.A.T.

Where do I even start with this timepiece? Its been to hell and back with me. Its been submerged two feet underground with my wrist in the mud, grazed by a sledge hammer, ran over by my car, and subjected to both sub-zero and extremely hot temperatures for months at a time. 

I can't count how many times its been covered in dirt, paints, wood stains, and subsequently cleaned with all manner of cleaners, paint thinners, and even turpentine. All of this, while keeping perfect time and never losing power during the last eleven years.

This is one smart watch
I've had many a friend and acquaintance ask me why I don't get with the times and upgrade to a smart watch. This is something I will never do. For one, I simply can't warm up to the idea of wearing a watch that I have to recharge.

This watch keeps absolutely perfect time as it implements an atomic timekeeping system. It syncs up with radio waves once a day to adjust its time to the nearest atomic clock (which just happens to be in my hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado). In essence, my CASIO keeps better time than a Rolex, and it even adjusts for daylight savings.

I have yet to change a battery on this watch in eleven years. The solar cell on this watch keeps the battery charged up even if exposed to artificial light. When not in use and in the dark, the watch will power down the display, while the clock still operates in the background.

They put 'Tough' in the name for a reason
I have destroyed many a watch in my time. I work hard and play hard, so I know for a fact that a smart watch would never hold up to the abuse that it would certainly be exposed to. I have no desire to blow my hard earned clams on an endless supply of new smart watches to replace the ones I will undoubtedly damage. 

If by some miracle or act of God, my G-SHOCK were to be destroyed, I'm only out around $100.00 or so, but it has yet to happen. Impact and shock resistant with a water resistance of up to 200 meters, this watch was made for me.

Things that have failed to destroy this amazing watch..

  • During a construction demolition, a sledge hammer glanced my watch, which bruised the heck out of me, but barely left a scuff on its bezel. My G-SHOCK probably saved me from a bone fracture or at the very least, a nasty cut.

  • I once totally soaked this watch in dirty motor oil while servicing my car. I took it off an placed it on my tool box, but it fell off and landed squarely under the tire. I ended up backing over it and no damage was sustained other than a small gash to the band.

  • I once dropped an expensive hand tool in a muddy hole while building a fence around a yard. I submerged my hand way past my elbow into the muck, with my poor G-SHOCK coming along for the ride. A quick blast with the garden hose cleaned it up perfectly.

  • This watch has swam along with me in the waters of the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, several lakes and rivers in between, and many a swimming pool and hot tub.

  • My G-SHOCK has been exposed to below zero temperatures for hours on end in Colorado, which actually ruined a display on one of my cell phones, and has spent endless hours exposed to 90 degree plus weather in Florida for the last 5 years. 

I own three variations of this G-SHOCK
Hey.. I stick with what works

I loved everything about my black G-SHOCK so much, I bought two variations of the model with metal bezels.


 from left to right..
GWM500-A1 Silver Bezel
GW-M530A
GWM500-F2 Blue Bezel

Worry free timepiece
I have actually went over a year between wearing a couple of these, and as soon as the light hits them, they instantly turn on with perfect time displayed, and start recharging. The only reason I don't wear my metal bezel watches more, is because of the abuse they would be subjected to. Don't get me wrong.. they will definitely stand up to the beatings I would throw their way, but the beautiful finishes would surely suffer.

Dissasemble & Deep Clean

After eight years, my watch band had sustained enough wear and tear that I ordered a new one to change it out. When I removed the band I noticed tons of caked on gunk and dirt in and around the lugs, so out of curiosity, I kept disassembling the watch. 
I discovered all manner of dirt, sand and salt embedded under the bezel, so I gave it a good soak and scrub before reassembling. 

The watch sits atop my wrist about 70% of the time and does everything I need it to do. I can't engage the stopwatch, but I'm sure its a problem with the pusher and not the module inside, I foresee another disassemble in its future so I can give it a little more TLC.

Some may wonder why I'd even bother with a watch I spent $130.00 over a decade ago. I've definitely got my moneys worth out of it, but at this point the watch and I have a history, and it really does hold a special place in my heart. I think it's time to give it a well deserved rest and take her out of the lineup as one of my 'beater watches'. In fact, I believe I will do an honest to goodness restoration on it, trying to get it looking as close to new and out of the box as I can.

My only problem now, is to find a suitable replacement. However, being a lifelong Casio enthusiast, I know I won't have much trouble in that regard. The hunt for my new designated hitter begins now. I will keep you posted as to what I settle on for my new daily workhorse!