Foods that have helped me lose weight on my fitness journey

As of writing this article, I have now lost 45 pounds since January 1st, 2021. I find myself still learning how to cook and eat for optimal fitness. However, I can share with you what has been helping me as of late, to help keep pushing the numbers on the scale in the right direction. Anyway, here is some food and meal ideas that have helped me substantially..




Indian Food
We make Indian Food a couple of times a week now. There are so many ways to make great tasting dishes and a seemingly infinite number of vegetarian recipes you can cook. All of them are the farthest thing from boring and bland you can imagine. It truly keeps me excited about eating clean.

Mexican Food
Mexican food can easily be prepared healthy. I like to make burritos and burrito bowls with quality wraps. I also take corn tortillas and give them a quick fry using avocado oil, to make healthier versions of Tostada shells. I pile them high with refried beans, veggies, avocado or guacamole, cheese, and salsa.

Chinese Takeout
I only do this once in a blue moon, but you can definitely order out healthy Chinese food as long as you're mindful. My simple rule is to avoid most things fried. Here are some great options:
  • Steamed Dumplings
  • Broccoli with Chicken or Beef 
  • Soups (Wonton, Egg Drop, Hot & Sour)
  • Steamed veggies
  • Moo Goo Gai Pan
  • Shrimp w/ Lobster sauce

Healthy Veggie Wraps / Tortillas
The average large tortilla contains about 38 grams of carbohydrates. With my personal risks and conditions, carbs are the enemy. When you use a healthy tortilla like 'Ole Extreme Wellness Tortilla Wraps' linked below, you can have guilt free burritos and wraps any time. 'Ole wraps have only 50 calories, 4 grams of net carbs, no added sugar or hydrogenated oils, and 11 grams of fiber. 

 

For veggie wraps, I first spread hummus on the tortilla and then pack it full of veggies like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, avocado, cucumber, chick peas, onion, tomatoes, etc. You can also add some cheese, healthy dressing, salsa, or hot sauce to give them more flavor. Once in awhile I add some protein like bacon or a little chicken. You are really only limited by your imagination and or taste.

For burritos, I spread refried or cooked beans on the tortilla then usually add cheese, peppers, onion, avocado and some nice salsa or hot sauce. Super filling and always tasty.



 

JACK LINK'S ZERO SUGAR 100% Beef Sticks with no Nitrates


I do intermittent fasting for 16 to 18 hours a day. I break my fast with a small low carb protein packed lunch that on most days includes one of these great tasting meat sticks. The great thing about them, is that they contain zero sugar, are 100% beef and are made with no nitrates.

Mixed Nuts
I have to be careful with these. Even though they are full of healthy fats and fiber, you can easily overdo it if you're mindlessly snacking on them.

Avocados
I add these to everything, or at least have them on the side of a meal if they don't go with what I'm eating. They are super healthy and are incredibly good for you.

Chick Peas
I eat so many chick peas it's not even funny. It takes minutes to make your own hummus with them in a food processor, and they are the center of most Indian dishes I prepare. They are great in stews and salads as well.

Lentils and split peas
Incredibly tasty, filling, and super healthy. I can't believe how many recipes there are out there.

Eggs
Cutting out most meat really left me with a deficit in regards to protein. I usually eat 2 eggs a day and 90% of the time they are boiled. I pack two for my lunch daily, and I always add them to bowls of salad.

Flatbread Pizza
I take a piece of flatbread, cover it in sauce, add a bed of fresh spinach, and top it with fresh mozzarella. I then pile on veggies like black and green olives, mushrooms, onion, peppers etc. I almost always top it with a modest amount of bacon or pancetta.

Spaghetti Squash
Definitely not the same as spaghetti, but it tastes great and I am now experimenting with new ways to use it, like with Asian recipes and casseroles.

Chili Beans
For the most part I make my chili meat free now, but occasionally I will buy a pound of stew meat to make it with. Its a pretty healthy meal as the fiber content negates some of the carbs. I even have a little cornbread with it sometimes (but not too much).

Whole fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
Took me awhile to get used to this, but now I love it. When I eat a bowl, I add in a couple tablespoons of ground flax or chia seeds for fiber. I then add a sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries, and walnuts.

Whole Grain Oats (Not instant or sweetened)
I don't eat these all of the time, but its good to get this type of fiber through your system occasionally. I add in coconut milk, banana, raisins or blueberries, vanilla, and cinnamon. If you absolutely need a sweeter oatmeal, adding a tablespoon of organic blueberry preserves helps.

Stuffed Bell Peppers
So many great recipes for these exist. I've stuffed them with burrito or taco ingredients, and recently began making Italian and Indian inspired versions as well.

These are just a few of the things I eat and prepare regularly. It's been a long process to figure out what to replace my unhealthy meals with, and am still learning. Avoiding processed food, focusing on eating more fruit and vegetables, and cooking meals myself  has done wonders for my health. Another side benefit is that it has saved us an incredible amount of money. 

I will be writing more articles soon about food and specific things that are helping me to keep making forward progress. Keep an eye out for them.