Rest in Peace Jimmy Buffet

If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I'd somehow adjust to the fall. Good times and riches and Son-of-a-bitches, I've seen more than I can recall.

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
by Jimmy Buffett


Jimmy Buffet
1949 - 2023

Jimmy Buffett passed away on September 1st, 2023. I wanted to post something right away, but his death took me the better part of this week to wrap my head around. It's always a strange feeling when a musical artist who's always been around for as long as you remember suddenly passes away. When you are a fan of the artist and hold an immense amount of respect for them, it definitely feels like there's a small part of yourself that's ceased to exist as well.

In the 70s, I remember my Dad sweeping his barber shop between appointments singing 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' and 'Margaritaville'. While it was not cool to like the same music your folks listened to, I always loved those songs unapologetically. 

In the 90s, I would work in my auto reconditioning shop singing along with Buffett's latest hit 'Fruitcakes'. 

In the 2000's, my co-workers on the factory production line and I would sing along and throw around the phrase "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere" as a small act of defiance to The Man. In the 2010's, 'Knee Deep' by Buffett and the Zac Brown Band got a crazy amount of play on my MP3 player.

By my 40s, I had compiled a massive playlist of Jimmy Buffett tunes. I loved listening to his music while walking or riding my beach cruiser by the lake. His music was also my soundtrack for many an afternoon of grilling and enjoying Landshark beer in my backyard. On our yearly family road trips to Florida, I would pop in the Jimmy Buffet CDs as we crossed over the Florida state line.

Many simply know about Jimmy Buffett from his music and maybe his restaurants, but he was what I consider to be a modern day 'Renaissance Man'. Check out a few of his pastimes..

Singer, songwriter, performer
Author
Pilot
Sailor
Surfer
Activist
Entrepreneur

I included entrepreneur on this list, because this man built an entire empire off of his name and a lifestyle. Resorts, restaurants, hotels, beer, tequila, food, and endless amounts of merch will make sure his grandkids will be able to chillax and follow their folly for decades to come. 

Buffett's legion of fans are called "Parrot Heads". Their devotion is comparable to Deadheads in many ways. Parrot Heads are folks who totally embrace the laid back, happy go lucky, beach loving lifestyle that Jimmy Buffet lived and breathed. Parrot Heads love tiki bars, boat drinks, tropical attire, and for the most part are sociable, accepting and positive people. Watch some Parrot Head tailgating parties on YouTube to get a feel for how dedicated these fans are.

What's more, Parrot Head Nation continued to grow with every passing year. People get older and as they approach middle age, often search for some sort of break or relief from the rat race that is life. That was the case with me at least. I'm not a full on Parrot Head mind you, but I do try to embrace the philosophy and attitude as much as I can. This week has brought me to the realization that maybe I should make a concerted effort to do so more.

Ever since moving to Florida, I had hopes of catching another one of his performances, as he often did spur of the moment concerts here. It wasn't meant to be however, and that is really wearing on me as I write this. He crafted a form of escapism that immensely helped me through some rough patches in my life. When I actually began listening to his lyrics, it very much helped me to realize life isn't is bad as I thought it to be, and enjoying the little things in the moment can truly bring you peace and clarity. 

This weekend I plan on grilling and enjoying a cheeseburger in the paradise that is my backyard. I even plan on crafting mine the same way Jimmy liked to enjoy his. And I quote:

Cheeseburger in paradise
Medium rare with Muenster'd be nice
Heaven on earth with an onion slice
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise

I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french-fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Well, good god Almighty, which way do I steer?
For my cheeseburger in paradise

Makin' the best of every virtue and vice
Worth every damn bit of sacrifice
To get a cheeseburger in paradise


In closing, I apologize if this article seemed a bit scattered. There were so many thoughts and feelings racing through my mind this week, I had a hard time reeling them all in and organizing them. Rest in peace Jimmy. You've earned that license to chill.


Visit Jimmy Buffett.com

Visit Save the Manatee
Founded by Jimmy Buffett in 1981