1980s Pizza Places in Fort Collins Colorado that are no longer open

I had the pleasure of living in Fort Collins when it had a population of only 70,000. There weren't many pizza places around back then, which is why most of them vividly stand out in my pizza obsessed mind. Here's a list I've compiled for posterity. Please comment below in if you remember a 70s or 80s Fort Collins pizza place that's not listed here, and I will add it to the list.



SHOWBIZ PIZZA
SHOWBIZ PIZZA
105 W Prospect Rd.

I loved this place when I was a kid. It was the restaurant equivalent to Disneyland for me. I believe it opened in 1980 and eventually turned into a Chuck E. Cheese. You can read a more in depth article I wrote about SHOWBIZ entitled: Memories of SHOWBIZ Pizza Place



Panhandler's Pizza
Panhandler's Pizza
1220 W. Elizabeth

Delicious pan style pizza that never disappointed. I believe there were two locations in Fort Collins, but my family's favorite store was the location in the Campus West area by Colorado State University. You can read an article I wrote about the original Panhandlers Pizza entitled:



Shakey's Pizza
Shakey's Pizza
1500 E. Mulberry Street

While Shakey's definitely lost its charm as a themed restaurant over the years, they still had great pie, and always had a nice assortment of video games to play in the 80s. You can read more about just how incredible this restaurant was during its heyday, in an old article I wrote entitled:
70s and 80s Memories of Shakey's Pizza restaurant


Big Cheese Pizza
BIG CHEESE Pizza
Located at 2635 S. College Ave. 

This was my family's go-to pizzeria during much of the 80s. The pizza tasted amazing and the restaurant had a simple, yet fun atmosphere. I expressly remember a huge yellow airplane that resembled an early 1900s bi-plane, that was suspended from the ceiling. I don't believe there was any other theming like that in the restaurant, but for some strange reason it worked and didn't look out of place. I must have spent hours peering up at that plane during my childhood.

My brother always started out the evening by pumping quarters into the jukebox, while I would procure a spot at the Pac-Man video game table to play a few rounds before dinner. I had no clue Big Cheese was a chain restaurant until many years later. In fact, I believe there are still locations in different states like New Mexico, Florida and Washington just to name a few.


The Upper Crust
1012 S. College Ave.
and Scotch Pines Shopping Center 

I can't remember too much about the Upper Crust, other than getting it delivered on occasion. I know it was a chain (possibly a local one) with stores in neighboring towns like Greeley. They had a store on North College Ave. and another in Scotch Pines Shopping Center by the old Toddy's supermarket. I do remember their pizza tasting pretty dang good, and my older brother's friends visiting for their 'Belly Bust' nights. 

I always got a kick out of my Dad working at a barber shop called 'The Upper Cut' before opening his own barber shop in Old Town Fort Collins that he operated for twenty some-odd years. As a young boy, I often fantasized about him working at the Upper Crust and bringing home free pizza.


Old Chicago Pizza and Beer
Old Chicago
147 S. College

Old Chicago opened up in the late 80s and closed in 2018. They had some great tasting pizza and were responsible for opening my eyes to the world of craft beer. The love of craft beer I developed there, set me on a path of homebrewing that has spanned close to thirty years. 

My favorite pizza was 'The Chicago Firecracker' a nice spicy pie made with peppery sauce, spicy sausage, pepperoni, and peppers which brought some heat. Old Chicago still has a south Fort Collins location as well as others peppered around the state. I've been to many an Old Chicago, but no others have the charm and character that the historic Old Town Fort Collins location had.


Vinny's Pizza
The old University Plaza Mall

This one wasn't around for a super long time. It opened in the mid 80s and was located in the old University Plaza Mall at 2229 S. College Ave. I experienced two things for the very first time at Vinny's. It was the first place I was able to buy pizza by the slice in Colorado, and its where I tried New York style pizza for the very first time. Both events had a big impact on me, and I loved eating there while it was open.


Vinnie's Pizza
This place was almost directly across from SHOWBIZ Pizza. I remember the pizza having an incredible crust and the sauce having a nice pop, but what I really miss was a menu item called 'Gator Bread'.


Cozzola's Pizza
Cozzola's Pizza
241 Linden Street

Dave Cozzola opened his incredible pizza restaurant in 1987. While the original store in Old Town is now closed, there is another at 1112 Oakridge Drive. Cozzola's Pizza was a real treat. Fresh made, braided crust, and superior ingredients won this pizzeria recognition year after year as the 'Best Pizza in Fort Collins'. Dave Cozzola was a customer at my Dad's barbershop for years, so my family got super acquainted with his restaurant just down the road from my Dad's shop. 

You can read a 2016 review of mine here:
Review of the Original Cozzola's Pizza in Fort Collins, Colorado


Sox and Cubs Pizza & Subs
I remember stopping in at this place near the indoor flea markets on North College Ave., when I felt like a thick and chewy slice of pizza. They had a spicy pizza on their menu that I really loved. They also made thin and crispy varieties as well. The restaurant felt like it was owned by baseball fanatics (Chicago fans of course) and sports decor reflecting this was everywhere throughout the establishment. 

I remember them often hosting Strat-O-Matic tournaments in the restaurant. Strat-O-Matic was/is a table top baseball simulation board game that you can play by yourself or with others. The restaurant would be full of hobbyists participating in tournaments. My brother was a huge fan of this game growing up, so I always enjoyed peeking in on the fun, whilst the enthusiasts had their showdowns. 

Godfather's Pizza
Godfather's Pizza
Foothills Shopping Center

If you loved massive amounts of cheese on your pizza, Godfather's was the place for you. The commercials I remember seeing in the 80s boasted about their five pound pizzas with one full pound of cheese. The original location we used to frequent was in the Foothills plaza, across the parking lot from the old Foothills Fashion Mall, not too far from the old 'Foothills Twin' movie theater. Years later in the 90s, another store was opened on Lemay Avenue by Albertson's. The new store featured a lunch buffet and while the pizza was decent, corporate rebranding had greatly changed the style of pizzas they were known for back in the 80s.


Pizza


These are the pizza places that come to mind as of now, but will definitely update this list if remember more. Fort Collins has always felt like a revolving door for restaurants, so I'm sure I've missed a few places up and above the ones I mentioned. By all means, if you can think of any that were open between the years of 1980 and 1990 that aren't listed here, feel free to comment below and help jog my memory. Thanks!