1975 Jack in the Box Bendable Buddies Fast Food Toys

Jack in the Box LogoMy first memories of dining on fast food were at Jack in the Box. I remember my Dad and I visiting the drive through in his old Ford Falcon station wagon. I always used to giggle when he would talk into the big clown head to order our food.

One day we pulled up to the drive through window and something caught my eye. Just inside the window was a little poster featuring Jack in the Box action figures! Just as McDonald's had characters like Ronald, Hamburglar, Mayor McCheese, Big Mac, & Grimace, to market their product towards children, Jack in the Box also had their own cast of characters to help sell Jumbo Jacks.

I begged my dad to buy me one, and he shelled out twenty five cents of his hard earned money for an "Onion Ring Thing" figure. What a Dad! Back in those days, twenty five cents could buy you a half gallon of gasoline. He continued purchasing different figures for my brother and I every time we visited Jack in the Box. These were some of my favorite toys from my early childhood, and I got endless hours of enjoyment playing with them.

1975 Jack in the Box Bendable Buddies Action Figures


Tired of the hustle and bustle of California, my family moved to Colorado in 1977. Sadly, my set of figures were lost during that move. For decades I fondly reminisced about these toys and wondered what ever happened to them. As an adult I swore that if I ever came across any of these figures, I would snatch them up no matter what the cost.

For a span of about eight years, I scoured the web looking for these toys on auction and toy websites to no avail. Then, in the spring of 2007 I found an online antique store that had the entire set of toys I was seeking. Yes, I once again became the proud owner of a complete set of 1975 Jack in the Box Bendy Figures. So come along and meet the marketing that helped mold many a hamburger and fast food connoisseur of modern times.

70s Jack in the Box Advertising characters

The Fab Five's likenesses appeared on collectible cups, comics, storybook's, and a slew of kids meal prizes. The most memorable Jack in the Box fast food toys from my childhood are the Bendy action figures pictured below. These Jack in the Box Bendable Buddies roughly stand about four inches tall, and were made by Imperial toy company in 1975.



"Jack the Clown"
Jack the Clown Bendy figThe ringleader himself! Through the 70s, his face graced most everything connected with Jack in the Box from food packaging to advertisements. Surprisingly, he was the most sane and well adjusted character of this bunch.



"Onion Ring Thing"
Onion Ring Thing Bendy FigA Hyper little fellow that always seemed to be goofing around and shouting "Hoo Hoo!" He's the kind of guy that you'd like to sock in the stomach.. if he had one.



"Small Fry"
Small Fry Bendy FigSmall Fry was a kid that was always hanging around and asking Jack questions. The storybooks depicted him as being a little kid, but the bendy fig makes him look more like an awkward teenager that's always half asleep.



"Secret Sauce Agent"
Secret Sauce AgentI'm not quite sure what Secret Sauce Agent contributed to Jack's Clique. Maybe his job was to guard the secret sauce from Ronald and the Burger King? He always had a big grin on his face, and was constantly peeking around corners and lurking about. He'd pop out once and awhile to say a word or two, and then he'd go and hide again. Secret Sauce Agent's skin was flesh color in the story books and on the toys, but Imperial for some strange reason opted not to paint his face. It made him look kind of sinister, so I designated him as the villain when I played with these toys.


"Hamburgermeister"
HAMBURGERMEISTERBeing a Hamburgermeister isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I've been called Hamburgermeister on many an occasion. This little guy hails from Germany and was always clad in lederhosen. He was known for cracking incredibly bad jokes and had a thick German accent. Sadly, the coolest thing about this cat is his name. 

There was a nice run of Jack in the Box items made throughout the 70s. I own a few more vintage Jack in the Box items and will make sure to showcase them very soon, so stay tuned. If you too were a fan of the old Jack in the Box characters, or had an affinity for other fast food icons of the era, let me hear about them in the comment section below.