McDonald's Breakfast Bagels are Back

I know I'm a little late with sharing this news, but I was happy to see that an old fan favorite is back on the McDonald's menu. The McBagel! It's not actually called a McBagel, but that's what myself and other fans of the breakfast sandwiches came to call them over the years. 

The rollout of this sandwich re-release has been slow going, but they are now finally available at my local McDonald's.


Last week I stopped by McDonald's for my weekly treat of one Egg McMuffin with coffee, and was greeted by pictures of Bagel sandwiches at the drive through. As the sun broke, the glowing menu board greeted me, coaxing me to reunite with an old friend.

The McBagel had a pretty good run as far as breakfast sandwiches go. It debuted in 1999 and was only discontinued in 2019. It was a casualty of McDonald's trimming and simplifying their drive through menu to weather the Covid pandemic.

Hello old friend

For old times sake and to celebrate their return, I decided get one. While I hadn't eaten one of these sandwiches in years, I do remember eating my weight in them, which wasn't very hard to do as they were big sandwiches. Over the years, the Steak Egg & Cheese Bagel became my favorite from the lineup, so that's what I ordered.

McDonald's Steak, Egg & Cheese Bagel


I ordered up the Steak Bagel and it was delicious. The Bagels were nicely toasted and the steak patty and grilled onions played off of the big bready bagel perfectly. Let's also not forget about that incredible sauce they add to it. I don't know what its made from, but fans were screaming for its return when McDonald's dropped bagels from their menu. 



I was happy to find that the sandwich is still a beast! It's a bit more pricey than the other sandwiches on the menu, but is way more filling and in my opinion a great value. 

I've mentioned in past articles, I really don't have any desire to dine inside of McDonald's these days. I usually take my breakfast home, or enjoy it the best I can on the way to work. The Bagel sandwiches come in a wrapper that easily peels back and serves as a pocket to hold the bagel with. This wrapper allows you to keep your hands and clothes nice and neat. It's an overlooked, yet innovative packaging feature that is not wasted on a breakfast sandwich connoisseur such as myself.

I for one am super happy to see these bagels back on the menu. They won't replace my breakfast go-to of the Egg McMuffin, but its nice to know it's at the ready when I crave a beefier and more filling breakfast. 

It seems as if McDonald's has listened to the masses petitioning for a return of the McBagel. I wonder what might be next. Snack Wraps? Cheddar Melts? The McDLT? Fish McBites? Time will tell.