Snack review - Congo Tropicals Plantain Chips

Congo Tropicals in Miami recently offered to send me a couple bags of their plantain chips to review. I'm always down to sample new brands of healthier snacks, so I gladly accepted the offer. I was excited to try a product from just down the road, and if I'm being totally honest, that awesome Monkey logo of theirs also helped to bolster my desire to try them. I'm a sucker for great logos, and this one is genius. I mean how great would this look on stickers, hats, frisbees or shirts?

The sister fruit to bananas, Congo Tropicals’ Plantain Chips are the perfect alternative to the crunchy potato chips you crave. Found in tropical regions, plantains are high in fiber, potassium, energy, and low in cholesterol. Brought straight to your home with Congo Tropicals, the sugar-free snack is the superfood you never knew you needed in your home! The perfect healthy snack for heading back to school and packing lunches!

Living in central Florida, I've sampled dozens of varieties of plantain chips. After recently losing 55 pounds I've stopped eating them, as many contain too much salt and are very greasy. They kind of taste like potato chips, and that's partly because they are made in a similar way. In all actuality, Plantain Chips should be a healthier snack option seeing as they're truly a superfood. Congo Tropicals boasts a healthy plantain chip, so I was all too ready to see if they were any good.


My Review..


Congo Salted Plantains
Upon opening the bag and grabbing a few chips, I immediately noticed there wasn't salt falling off of them, nor were they greasy. So many brands make plantain chips that are super thin and greasy. I'm happy to say that Congo Plantain chips are not! They were thick, crunchy and perfectly salted. These chips only have 15 mg of sodium per serving, equivalent to 1% of your daily allowance. They have no cholesterol, saturated or trans fats, and are gluten free with no added sugar. They are without a doubt the best plantain chips I've had in years.

Congo Ripe/Maduro chips
Maduros are ripened plantains that are sweet. The closest thing to these for taste would be a dried banana chip. Banana chips however are a lot sweeter and have less flavor. These chips were considerably harder than the salted plantains, but not as hard as your typical bulk banana chips. I only eat maduro chips on rare occasion, but I really enjoyed the Congo brand of sweet plantain chips. They were not overly sweet, with a complex flavor. If available, and I had a sweet tooth to take care of without breaking the calorie bank, I would definitely grab a bag of these.

All in all I enjoyed both varieties of these chips immensely. It makes me want to try out their garlic flavored variety soon! These days, any snack that ticks all the boxes for healthier eating makes me happy. And.. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention they're quite filling as well! So in closing, if you want a salty or sweet, incredible tasting guilt free snack that's actually satiating, look no further than Congo Tropicals!

If you can't find Congo Tropicals Plantain Chips at your local grocer, fear not! You can find them at their website for a couple dollars per bag, as well as on Amazon. I highly recommend them, and am ecstatic to add another healthy snack option to my rotation. I've listed links below if you you want to give them a try.

Note: These are so good.. they sell out FAST.
But fear not, you can also buy them on the  Congo Tropicals website




This was a sponsored review. Opinions are my own, and I take pride in giving my honest and truthful opinion about everything I review. If you would like to work with me on a project or promotion, by all means contact me. Click here to view our privacy policy.