RC Cola & Little Caesars. A great walk down memory lane. PIZZA PIZZA!

 


As a kid, all I needed to erase the stresses of the day was some pizza and a soda pop. Back in the day, my folks would often pick up a couple Little Caesars pies and some RC Cola, and all was right with the world. Now even after 50 trips around the sun, the same combo still works miracles for me. Sure any pizza will do, and pizza & Beer can get me Zen quicker than just about anything, but the nostalgia around Little Caesars and RC Cola hits totally different. Today, the stars aligned and I was able to pair Little Caesars and RC Cola for the first time in at least 35 years!

 

RC Cola history
Royal Crown Cola was invented in 1905 for Cole-Hampton-Hatcher Grocery Store as a way to avoid purchasing Coca-Cola Syrup at a high cost. Royal Crown was actually the industry leader for a while, being the first to sell canned soda and the first to offer a caffeine free soda. However, inferior distribution plans inevitably led to the cola being eclipsed by Coca-Cola and Pepsi during the great Cola Wars.

Growing up in the Southwest, I was raised on RC Cola. That great Royal Crown logo was emblazoned on half of the soda machines and Diner menu boards around town. Now in the Southeast, RC Cola seems to keep steadily appearing on more shelves, and I'm all for it. I really try not to consume too much soda these days, but sometimes you just need a nip of your favorite brand from time to time.

I was walking through the store the other day and saw RC six packs of bottles, and twelve packs of cans. What's more, they both featured the classic round RC logo on them! I didn't buy any, but snapped a pic for posterity and posted it to Instagram. Discussions about soda ensued with my family and workmates, and I then had RC on the brain! I couldn't stand it. I picked up a six pack on the way home from work the next day. 


My favorite Cola from childhood..
in a 30 year old + Tupperware Cup

Coca-Cola became my favorite soda for decades once RC Cola disappeared from the shelves. I do love the history of the company, and even occasionally buy retro Coca-Cola merch. If given the choice however, I will definitely buy RC Cola when I need to satiate any Cola cravings that may arise. Needless to say, I'm super excited RC is now more readily available in these parts. 


PIZZA! PIZZA!
Even though Little Caesars was founded in 1959, I had no idea it ever existed until they opened up a store in Fort Collins Colorado back in the 80s. Back then, if you bought one pizza, you automatically got the next pizza for free, hence the tag line.. 'Pizza Pizza'. Now that was a concept my Old Man could get behind 100%!  If we were to get takeout pizza, it was always Little Caesars.

The pizzas came side by side on a long cardboard slat, with the entire 2-pack being encased in a big white paper bag. Their Crazy Bread was also a family favorite of ours. They more closely resemble breadsticks these days, but you still can't go wrong with buttery cheesy baked sticks of dough right?

I will never forget the image of my Dad busting through the door holding three or four stacks of Little Caesars Pizzas in one arm, and a twelve pack of Coors in his other. He'd usually do this when we'd have big groups of family or friends come over for dinner. I don't know what excited him more, the pizza & beer, or the incredible value he was getting.

I know folks that turn their noses up at Little Caesars pizza, and I just don't get it. I think they equate the low price with inferior product. Now I know pizza. Anyone who knows me, knows I know Pizza. I'm am equal opportunity pizza eater, and I take Little Caesars for what it is.. a good tasting, bargain priced, pizza chain pizza. 

I've had people tell me time and time again, that Little Caesars is awful and their favorite pizza chain pizza is superior. If they press the issue and the discussion gets deep, I usually share my Pizza chain word association test results with them.


The Retro Dad's Pizza Chain Word Association Exercise
I use one word to describe Pizza Chain Pizzas

Pizza Hut - Greasy

Dominos - Ketchup

Hungry Howie's - Chewy

Papa Johns - Overpriced

Little Caesars - Zesty


And that really is the truth. Little Caesars to me, is every bit as good if not better than their biggest competitors. It's a good tasting pizza that doesn't break the bank, and I have a lifetime of memories that surround it.

Pizza and Soda Pop. That's all it takes sometimes for an attitude adjustment. Great memories that involve both, can also help to keep you in the moment, engulfing you in positive vibes. I needed that today and got it for a bargain price.

Visit Little Caesars Online