Sign of the Times. Grandmaster Flash had it right in 1985

So the older I get, the more I realize the world really hasn't changed much over the course of my 50 trips around the sun. Without getting too deep, there has always been pestilence, famine, war and death. Now with smart technology, its in our faces all of the time. Whatever ends of the earth bad things are currently taking place on, we can now hear about it almost instantly. The world has definitely gotten a lot smaller. Which brings me to the topic of this post, the 1985 song called 'Sign of the Times' by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. 

As a naive kid growing up in a small Northwestern Colorado town, I was oblivious to just how much evil and injustice was out there in the real world. I got into rap music in 1981, mainly because my older brother had already turned me on to Funk and R&B, and the rap of that era just sounded good to me. 

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five was one of my favorite rap groups in the 80s. I'm the type of person that really listens to lyrics in songs, and the Furious Five started opening my eyes in ways I never imagined.

The first time I heard them rap about situations involving police brutality, I thought it was surely a lighthearted jab at authority. However, my mind was opened as a pre-teen and suddenly news articles or short news spots on the exact same situations they were rapping about, started catching my eye. What's more, it seemed to me that no one wanted to talk about these uncomfortable situations, or quickly dismissed them. When they did make it to media, it also seemed like they were buried or minimized.

The other day I was listening to my 80s rap playlist for old times sake, and started singing along to 'Sign of the Times'. I suddenly stopped and realized everything they were rapping about are the same exact issues people still ponder on to this very day. Without further ado.. read the lyrics for yourself to see the correlation.

A side note:
You'd think you could find everything on the internet in 2021, but I simply could not find the full and accurate lyrics to this song anywhere online. I listened to the song myself to fill in the gaps, and I think I nailed them down, with the exception of only one lyric at the end of the second verse which I've italicized.



Sign of the Times - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Now listen up 'cause I got a little something to say

To educate you bout the life in the streets today

Now everybody's confused about what to do

and what this world is coming to


Chorus-

Sign of the Times. Can really Blow your mind.


Inflation rises every time that opportunity knocks

The rent's crazy for the house the size of a box

It's an arm and a leg to keep clothes on your back

The daily run, push and shove, you just can't hack

The payday comes around you go to pick up your check

The money never seems to get you out of debt

Hinkley shot the president, he had nothing to lose

? - when a journey to see a brother eyewitness knew - ?


Cops shooting up all of the citizens

To find out the next day the guy's innocent

Young girls being raped and taken by force

All the people getting married just to get divorced


Working for minimum wage, one foot in the grave

And all the rich folks screaming they're underpaid

Daddy's in jail doing twenty to life

He has a family back home, five kids and a wife

Girls run away from home with no way to survive

And have to sell her body to stay alive


Nowadays in the trains and the buses you see

People fighting for seats with the elderly

Momma down by the bedside on her knee

So much crime it ain't safe for her to walk the street

Because times are hard, either do or die

You can run and ignore, but you can't hide


Politicians like to max and relax

Sayin 'Vote for me, and I know what to tax'

Sipping on Martinis with a little coke

and then the headline reads 'Drug overdose'

Magazines expose our beauty queen

The American Dream, what does it mean?


For tis' of thee in our country

Don't take things as they appear to be

You say babies cry by their mothers side

Sweet land of liberty for spacious skies

We got actors running for president!

So what the hell's going wrong with this government?

No hurt is worse than a mother's pain

when the love for her child goes down the drain

Been used and abused but would never expect

that the child that she birthed would give her no respect



Car dealer wanted to make quick cash

Try to buy the coke and don't do got over glass

Nowadays kids are growing up too fast

Learning more in the street than they do in class

Dealing drugs on the corner at the age of ten

I say, if you go to jail, you got to stay in


Speeding in the fast lane, going no place

And when it's over, you see that it was all a waste

Found with a letter by your bedside

you ended your life, committed suicide

Mom is searching in the trash for bottles and cans

while the kids stood by with outstretched hands

While a man holds a dollar and so must pray

in this land of the free, home of the brave

You see people getting shot over nickels and dimes

Don't you know that's all a sign of the times?


I just shake my head and laugh at parts of this song. I mean c'mon.. Actors running for president, rich people screaming they're underpaid? I've seen two actors run for president in my lifetime and win. And.. just today, a bipartisan group of politicians passed a new law that.. SURPRISE, yet again protects the rich from paying more taxes. Other parts of the song make me shake my somberly shake my head in disgust with society. Working for minimum wage, one foot in the grave, and lets not even start talking about police.

I've always strived to keep it 'light' on this blog, but as you get older you find yourself pondering on life. You begin to analyze history, politics, poems, the meaning of life, your own existence and even song lyrics. Thanks for reading another one of my cathartic ramblings. I'm sure it won't be the last.


By the way, here's the video below.
(in case you'd like to reminisce about just how much rap has changed)





And.. a link to their music you can get on Amazon Digital!

. .