1966 Flipper Lunch Box by Thermos

Today I bring to you, yet another acquisition for my ever growing Lunch Box collection.  I rediscovered this gem during a recent visit to my Folks house in Colorado.  This lunch Box didn't belong to me personally.  In fact, it was made before I was even born, but I consider it a family heirloom of sorts, because it belonged to my Brother.  Flipper was basically the Aquatic equivalent to Lassie, and ran from 1964 to 1967.  My Brother was about 5 years old at the time, and was a big fan of the show.

Checkout this piece from a more innocent time.  Click on any picture to enlarge.


This isn't in as good of shape as my Disney School Bus Lunch Box, but it has still held up surprisingly well for 52 years. In fact.. my Old Man held greasy bolts and the like inside of it for years.  Nothing a good cleaning can't remedy however.  The outside is a bit dirty and greasy, and the inside is even grimier, but some Goof-Off and Mineral Spirits should whip it into shape.






Once again, you just can't beat the art on these old Lunch Boxes.  I love how it feels so era specific.  As always, it's so obvious they used to try harder with the lunchbox designs.. filling every panel they could with great art.  The top panel under the handle is a section they could have easily wrote off for including art, but most old boxes back in the day still had great images on them as you can see below.



I love the nostalgia these old Lunch Boxes carry with them.  Whatever pop culture phenomenon that was trending at the time, had a lunch Box to go with it.  Kids could get lost in the world of any movie, TV show, or interest that emblazoned their lunch Box, and that's exactly what I used to do as a young boy.

Thanks for stopping by to read this quick blog post.  I will continue to post more lunchbox articles as I acquire new pieces, which I can definitely foresee happening, since being bitten by the Lunch Box collecting bug.