HOME          ABOUT         LINKS          CONTACT      

Jun 13, 2016

Retro snack food and packaging


I'm really digging all of the throwback food packaging that's popping up, not to mention the resurrected versions of food I enjoyed as a kid.  Check out all of the retro goodness that I've come across over the last few years..


 Original Banana flavor Twinkies
The original Banana flavored Twinkies are back!  They are also accompanied by retro packaging featuring Twinkie the Kid!!  I remember my Mom taking my brother and I to a grand opening of an Alpha Beta supermarket near Pomona California back in the 70's.  Out in front of the store was a seven foot tall Twinkie the Kid passing out free Twinkies to folks passing by!  I've been a huge fan ever since (of both "The Kid" and the Twinkie).  If you're wondering.. yes I bought these, and yes, they're good!  The banana flavor is more subtle than I thought it would be, and to me.. the taste doesn't vary too much from that of a regular Twinkie.



Hostess Cup Cakes
More retro packaging, featuring an advertising icon from years gone by.. Captain Cup Cake!!  I grew up watching the old Hostess snack cake commercials featuring these great characters, and it's great to see them once again!  Now all they need to do is bring back Fruit Pie The Magician, and I'll be one happy camper!



Monster Cereal Fruit Roll-Ups
Not necessarily a retro product, but I do like how Franken Berry and Boo Berry sort of resemble their likenesses from the 1970's.



Throwback Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Dr. Pepper
It looks like these sodas made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup might be here to stay, as I no longer see "for a limited time only" printed on the packaging. I seldom drink soda, but when I do.. I always try to buy varieties made with real sugar.



The Original Taco Flavored Doritos
This is my favorite retro packaging (and product) to be released in recent years.  It takes me right back to 1975 when my Grandfather would send me down to the Circle-K with a crisp dollar bill. I'd buy us a bag for an afternoon snack, and we would sit on his porch talking and watching the trains from the nearby train yard slowly pass by.  This limited edition packaging is only supposed to be around until the Superbowl, but Frito Lay plans on keeping this classic flavor around in updated packaging.

I'm truly enjoying this trend of throwback food products.  I can only imagine what makes its way to store shelves next.  Is there any old packaging, or are there food products that you'd like to see brought back to their former glory?



2 comments:

  1. I also wouldn't mind seeing Fruit Pie The Magician resurrected! In October of 2013, the Monster Cereals (Count Chocula, Franken Berry, Boo Berry, Fruit Brute, and Yummy Mummy) were all brought back for a limited time and the retro boxes were available exclusively at Target stores. Three of them were brought back again in October of 2014 (only Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry)). I'm not sure if they made a return last October or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. they bring em' back every year now, but with new variations on the art. I really do prefer the retro art, and wish they would bring it back again.

      Delete

What say you?