Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys

It's been exactly three years since I got back from a wonderful 11 mile bike ride, opened up my laptop, and learned that Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys had passed away.  This terrible news ruined my week, and had me bummed out on so many levels.

I had heard in the news in the years prior, that he was battling cancer (cancer of a salivary gland of all things).  Mike Yauch expected to make a full recovery, as it was thought that the cancer was very treatable.

The release of the Beastie Boys newest album at the time "Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2." was postponed in 2011.  When Adam wasn't in attendance for the Beastie Boys induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame earlier in 2012, I wondered if his health was suffering again, and sadly it obviously had been.

What kid didn't dig the Beastie Boys in the 80s?  When "You Gotta Fight for Your Right To Party" came out, almost every kid in my school were instant fans of the song.  It didn't matter what kind of music you were into, or what high school social class you belonged to.  The song transcended all of that, and simply made you happy (and maybe a wee bit rebellious).

I've always been a fan of the Beastie Boys, and it was truly sad that one of the founding members of a band I had followed since my youth, was now gone forever.  I'm sure millions of folks worldwide felt the same way.

I leave you now with a Beastie Boys video from 1986 called "Hold it now hit it".  It features Adam Yauch (in the plaid shorts) as I like to remember him.. Rowdy as ever, and full of laughs.

Rest in Peace MCA.  You are still sorely missed.