Fact or fiction? Men never throw away their old clothes.

by Darrin Vindiola


I've got to say that I'm leaning towards "fact" on this topic. Many of my friends wives often complain about their hubby's see through underwear, toe-less socks, and t-shirts that no longer fit.  I'd like to clear the air, and say that I'm not one of those cats that refuse to throw away their hole-ridden socks and underwear.  I can't deny it though.. I definitely posses the male "clothes hoarding gene".

As a general rule, I try to throw out or pass along clothes that I haven't worn in over a year.  However.. I have been known to hold onto t-shirts years after they probably should have been cut up into rags for waxing the family car.  Case in point, my Disney World Tee that is older than my thirteen year old daughter..


I bought this tee at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida, back in 2000.  I fell in love with the tiki print on the front of the shirt, and didn't think twice about buying it.  Have you ever owned a shirt that looked and felt so good, that you wished you could wear it very day?  This was one of those shirts.  I wore it often over the next few years, until little holes started forming on the front of the shirt.  I'm no slob, so once this started happening, I stopped wearing it out in public.  I continued wearing the shirt at home, but the it continued to wear thin until I was bothered enough by the dozen or so small holes to stop wearing it entirely.

I haven't wore this shirt for close to a decade now, but I can't bring myself to throw it out and I'm not entirely sure why.  It's not as if I can repair it or anything, but I guess it does have some great memories attached to it.  The Tiki shirt is currently the only worn out shirt I currently possess, and don't think I haven't looked high and low for another one either.  There are numerous resources on the web where you can buy old Disney shirts and overstock items, but I've yet to come across a twin to my prized Disney Tiki shirt.

I guess the next time I come across another "perfect tee" I'll just have to buy two of them.