5 old Dad Styles that are actually 'cool' now?

Back when I cared a bit too much about what other people thought of me (you naturally learn how to get over that insecurity as you age) I often avoided wearing certain things, because I didn't like the goofy 'Dad' stigma that was often attached to them.

Some of these I still avidly use, and some I never will. How many do you proudly rock? I've included Amazon links to most of these items if you fancy adding any of them to your fashion lineup..



TEVA Sandals
Teva Sandals were my first choice in summer footwear back when I lived in Colorado. Now that I live in Florida, I wear them a good part of the year. I once met up with some friends from work at one of the Disney theme parks, and was surprised to see most of my workmates in their early twenties wearing Tevas and Birkenstocks.

I instantly felt like the 'Old Guy' wearing my sensible footwear in the form of a tennis shoe, when I could have been wearing a super comfortable pair of Tevas in the 95 degree Florida heat.




Dad Caps


I like baseball caps, but I can't wear just any cap. Trucker caps.. forget it. Flat brim snap back caps.. definitely not my style. However, the old school 5 panel baseball caps aka 'Dad Caps' are my go-to cap for all sorts of occasions. 


It's about the only style of cap that looks good on my dome. And these days, you can buy them with just about any type of branding emblazoned upon them, whether its cartoon characters, beer logos, sports teams, or virtually any interest or hobby you may have.


Hawaiian Shirts / Print Shirts

I remember feeling like the 'Old Guy' at the Bar when I'd wear one of my many Hawaiian shirts. Now, Hawaiian and printed camp shirts with unique and crazy designs have become popular with folks of all ages. RSVLTS has flat out changed the game in regards to crazy pop culture prints and I own a few of their designs myself.


I remember feeling like the 'Old Guy' at the Bar when I'd wear one of my many Hawaiian shirts. Now, Hawaiian and printed camp shirts with unique and crazy designs have become popular with folks of all ages.


I will say this however.. if you see an old boy wearing a Hawaiian shirt, you are very likely to learn that this guy has a history, and some great stories to tell.


Socks that cover your ankle
(and areas northward)


they aren't just for old guys anymore..


This is one I still can't get into. Back in the 70s and most of the 80s, we wore our socks this way (sometimes all the way up to the knee). I still did until about 1991, when some of my friends jokingly started asking me why I refused to let my legs breathe.


I took the cue and bought low cut socks that hit right around the ankle or lower. It's a style I have rocked to this very day. I'm not against longer socks mind you, its just that after thirty years, wearing a longer sock feels super restricting and alien to me.


Fanny Packs
How many of us were surprised that this one came back in fashion? And.. in a BIG way. Until recently, they became a joke or sorts, even being thrown into all manner of satire and comedy bits. I must admit I owned a few back in the day, often paired with my acid washed jeans. 


A COACH Fanny?
Don't tell my wife about this one

For me however, I just can't go back. I don't think anyone wants to see me wearing one of these. My Bride and kids could pull it off, but I seriously doubt that I could. While I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd wear a fanny pack ever again.. I must admit that this Danny Devito fanny pack is amazing..




So these were just the fashion trends that popped off the top of my head. Did I miss any? Do I need to write a part two? Chime in at the comment section below!