Cowboys and Indian toys.. still selling after all of these years

by Darrin Vindiola


It warm the cockles of my retro heart to see that toys like Cowboy and Indian play sets are still carried in stores.  After all of these years, the toys must still warrant valuable retail shelf space, because if you look hard enough in most supermarkets you will find them.





Often they are strategically placed in aisles where a parent might have to take a little more time to find what they need, like the spices or coffee sections.  (Sneaky huh?)  And.. quite curiously, they always seem to be within an arms reach of children!  It makes me smile to think there are still kids out there that will beg and plead, like I did for Mom or Dad to buy these toys for them.

Cowboys & Indians as well as Green Army Men were the equivalent to LEGO's for my brother and I back in the 1970s.  We had hundreds of them that always seemed to be strung about everywhere.  We were scolded on more than one occasion when the little plastic toys would get vacuumed up into Mom's Electrolux. 

I must admit that these toys conjure up such great feelings of nostalgia.. I feel like purchasing a bag every time I set my eyes on them.  These sets pictured above were no exception to the rule!  The sets contained way cool accessories like Teepees, Hogans, totem poles, horses, and cacti, just to name a few.  Perhaps I need to buy a bag of these things for old times sake, although I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with them.  Ah, who am I kidding?  I'd most definitely play with them just as I did when I was five years old.

Want to build an army of Retro Cowboys and Indians?
Check out what I found on Amazon..


A 180 piece set.  Now THAT'S bang for your buck!