Oktoberfest Pizza

It's nearing that time of year again friends.. Oktoberfest! Want to incorporate some pizza into your Oktoberfest celebrations this year? It's easy to make German themed pizza, and you're only limited by your imagination. 

Check out this little Oktoberfest inspired pizza I threw together. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but was quite surprised with the results.

Basically it's homemade dough with a 50/50 olive oil & stone ground mustard sauce for a base, mozzarella cheese, authentic beer bratwurst & knockwurst I found at ALDI. Finally, I added some Sauerkraut for the last two minutes of the bake. 

The cheese actually toned down the sauerkraut a wee bit, softening some of its punch. It truly was an enjoyable pizza to eat. You get all of the flavors from eating grilled Brats w/sauerkraut, presented atop a nice light pizza crust.

Something else I may try in the future, is to add an egg wash to the crust for browning, and sprinkle some course salt to mimic a pretzel. 

I also might try using a beer cheese for the sauce base. With a cheese base, I may even try using some sautéed shredded cabbage rather than Sauerkraut. Some strips of schnitzel may work nicely with the cheese sauce base as well.

It was fun making this pizza and I look forward to tweaking the recipe in the future. When I do, I'll make sure to share the results here.