McDonald's food I can no longer eat

This is the second in a series of three McDonald's articles I'm writing this week. This one focuses on McDonald's menu items I can't/wont eat anymore.

2022 was an interesting year for me. It was the year I maintained weight loss for the first time in my life without yo-yoing. Rather than dieting, I've initiated a lifestyle change for myself that is heavily plant based.

While I've largely given up fast food, I do treat myself on the rare occasion to a few items at McDonald's. These items consist of the classic Egg McMuffin, their regular hamburger, and the Big Mac.

That being said, below is a list of old favorites that I can no longer bring myself to eat from their menu..


The Big Breakfast

How can something that looks so good, be so bad for you? Here are the stats..

1340 calories,
63g fat,
158g carbs,
525mg  cholesterol (175% of your daily allowance)
2070mg sodium (90% daily allowance)

Throw in a sweetened coffee or orange juice, and the numbers climb even higher.


Breakfast Sandwiches

The McMuffin, McGriddles and Biscuit sandwiches were a staple during most of my morning commutes not so long ago. I must admit that it was no easy task for me to cut them out of my diet. Check out the nutrition facts for some of my old favorites..


Sausage McMuffin w/egg
480 calories, 31g fat, 30g carbs, 12g sat fat (62% of your daily allowance)



Sausage Egg & Cheese McGriddle
550 calories, 33g fat, 44g carbs, 13g sat fat (67% of your daily allowance) 
1290mg sodium (57% daily allowance)



McChicken Biscuit
Such a simple looking sandwich. 
Surely it couldn't be that bad for you right? 
Let's see..

420 Calories, 20g of fat, 46g carbs, 9g sat fat, 1090mg sodium.

All of these sandwiches were SO incredibly hard for me to stop eating. Even today, if I look at them or think about them for too long, I start insatiably craving them.


McDonald's Milkshakes

I used to absolutely love the seasonal McDonald's Shamrock and Eggnog milkshakes. Heck.. to be honest, I still do. The lore, the exclusivity, and marketing around these items had me hooked decades ago. 

However, with anywhere from 59 to 82 grams of sugar (recommended daily intake is 36 grams) this one was a no brainer with my healthier lifestyle I've adopted. To guzzle one of these down with a burger and fries makes for some pretty shocking nutritional numbers. I just can't pummel my body with an insulin booster like this any longer. 

The mere fact that their shake machines are always broken or being cleaned, made it much easier to stop buying them. Even if I wanted to try the new purple milkshake they've made in honor of Grimace's birthday, I wouldn't be able to obtain one.


McDonald's French Fries


Medium McDonald's French Fries
320 calories
15gfat, 43g carbs, 2g sat fat, 260 mg Sodium (11% DV)

I stopped eating fries years ago, but not for all of the reasons that you might think. By all rights, (a modest serving) of McDonald's fries aren't that unhealthy compared to all of the other items I've already listed above. 

When it comes to French fries, I can take them or leave them. I've been this way for as long as I can remember, and at some point 20 years ago I started skipping the fries altogether and would just order an extra burger.

Want your mind blown?  Most all natural smoked chicken breasts are worse for you than a serving of McDonald's fries in regards to sodium. Why? Because chicken processors inject chicken with sodium so it absorbs more water, making it heavier.. which in turn makes them more money.

I do fondly look back on how much I enjoyed these food items in the past, but when I slow down and think about it a little longer, I'm abhorred by the damage I've inflicted on my body by eating too much of this fast food.

Maybe someday I will indulge on fast food a wee bit more, but at this point I'm staying on the straight and narrow as I continue to get my health under control.