You might be a Retrophile if.. you start your day with a song

Have you ever heard the old adage.. "Start your day with a song"?  Maybe it's because my Mom and Dad used to wake up humming and singing, but for as far back as I remember, I wake up with a song in my head every morning.

I'm talking every morning, with no exception, no matter how I'm feeling.  What's more, it's always a different song.  I'm sure these songs eventually repeat themselves.  However, if they do.. the amount of time between these occurrences are so long, that I can't recall when it happens.

A while ago, I began to question if I was somehow mistaken, or if I really did wake up with music in my head every morning.  I decided to keep my trusty writers journal next to my bed for a week, to jot down the names of songs that I woke up humming, singing, speaking, or simply thinking of.

Well.. I indeed woke up to a different song every day for the duration of my record keeping.  Sometimes the songs were there the second I opened my eyes.  Other times the songs were in my head a few seconds before opening my eyes, acting like an alarm clock.  On a couple of instances, the music didn't pop into my head until a few minutes after I got out of bed and stepped into the shower.

Here's my mental playlist from those seven days..

Day 1 - It's a Beautiful Morning - The Rascals

Day 2 - My Guy - Mary Wells

Day 3 - Tossin' and Turnin' - Bobby Wells

Day 4 - Have you seen her? - The Chi-Lites

Day 5 - Why do fools fall in love? - Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers

Day 6 - Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen

Day 7 - Born on The Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Revival

( Bonus! )
Day 8 - Runaway - Jefferson Starship

Once I perused this list, I took note of two interesting facts.  One.. there's nothing remotely new on this list, which makes me think my "Retro-Oblongata" takes up more space in my brain than I had originally thought.  And two.. not one of these songs are anywhere in my personal music collection.

I love all kinds of music, and this list doesn't doesn't even come close to the smorgasbord of musical genres I sometimes wake up to.  Waking up with a song in my head is sometimes "a blessing and a curse" as they say.  Sometimes I get a song stuck in my head for the entire day like "I'm too sexy" or "Mambo #5", but overall I wouldn't trade waking up like this for anything.