Corona Virus Lockdown Day 18 - Biking and Homebrewing Pineapple Beer


Nice day yesterday.  It was a much cooler day which really changed the course of my usual routine.  Here's how it went..


  • Ventured out to grab groceries via Walmart curbside pickup (such a blessing)
  • Ate a late breakfast (Big bowl of oats w/fresh apples and peaches)
  • Started fermenting a new batch of beer
  • Went for a 3 mile ride at 1:00 p.m.
  • Installed a basket on my Brides Beach Cruiser
  • Fixed the axle on my old Schwinn
  • Cooked some meat for my wife so she could make lettuce wraps for dinner

Something's Brewing! (well.. fermenting actually)
Homebrewing

Fermenting
All ready for a nice nap

So for the first time ever, I've decided to try my hand at making some Pineapple Beer from a recipe my Dad gave to me.  It's a Mexican drink called 'Tepache' (pronounced Tay-Paw-Chay).  It's basically a Pineapple Beer fermented in a similar way to Kombucha, but is done and ready to drink in 72 hours.

I guess Tepache is kind of like a cross between beer and fruit wine.  It's sweet, a little sour, and has a mild alcohol content.  I truly hope it comes out good, and if it does.. I will be dedicating an article to this great drink.


Wicker Bicycle Basket
Added a basket to my Bride's Beach Cruiser

Beach cruiser

I also managed to fix the front axle on 'Olga'.. my 1963 Schwinn.  I found a spare axle buried in my magic box of vintage bike parts, and it fit perfectly on the rim!  I took it out for a quick ride and it rode like a dream. 

I have only a couple more things I want to do to it, and have parts on the way to complete the project. This includes re-installing the head badge and replacing the headset and bearings in the fork tube.  There are definitely other things I will eventually do like replace the cranks, as they are a bit bent, and possibly add some nicer fenders, but that will be further down the road.

All in all, a great day.  I'm so grateful that I have hobbies that help to keep me busy and fulfilled in these trying times.  That's all for now folks.. see ya soon.