HOME          ABOUT         LINKS          CONTACT      

Dec 12, 2016

Retro memories of Hostess Donuts and crazy Colorado weather

Crazy post title right?  I racked my brain for a simpler one, but decided nothing else could sum up my story as well.  Here's the skinny..



Hostess Raspberry filled Donuts

I know Hostess went through a big buyout in recent years, and unfortunately, I believe the wonder that was Hostess Raspberry filled Donuts was a casualty of this corporate reorganization.  I believe they are no longer being made, and it's a shame because they were one of my favorite items Hostess used to make.


I got hooked on these delightful powdered delicacies when I was 13 years old.  My best friend and I had a very successful June with our lawn mowing and landscaping business, and concluded that we had rightly earned a Saturday off.  Friday night we stocked up on fishing gear, and farmed my friends yard for night crawlers. We turned in early and set our digital wrist watch alarms for 5:00 a.m.

Early the next morning we stopped at the local 7-11 on the way to our top secret fishing spot to stock up on some food and refreshments.  I spotted the Hostess raspberry filled donuts on the shelf and excitedly bought a box for our breakfast.  I had seen them before, but my Mom would never buy them for me because she said I probably wouldn't like them.

From there we rode our bikes about five miles to our favorite fishing spot on the river.   After we cast our lines into the water, and waited for the fish to start biting, we cracked open the box of donuts and poured ourselves some coffee from our thermoses.  I don't know if it was the serene atmosphere coupled with the feeling of independence we had that morning, but those raspberry donuts were about the best thing I had ever tasted.

As for the all day fishing trip.. we fished for all of 20 minutes when the clouds rolled over, the temperature dropped twenty degrees, and snow started flying.  Yes.. freak Colorado snow storms at the end of June, have been known to happen once in a blue moon.  We hurriedly packed up all of our gear and quickly hightailed it back to my friends house into the wind, dressed for 90 degree weather.

Sometime before 8:00 a.m. we walked through my friends front door soaking wet, and skin feeling blistered from the wind chill and snow. Walking through the dining room on the way to the kitchen, we came across his parents sitting at the table sipping their morning cup of coffee.  My friends mom poured us each a cup, and we all polished off the remaining donuts while he and I cursed the crazy Colorado weather.  And cursed it we did.. as it was 73 degrees by 1:00 that afternoon.  Like the locals say in Colorado.. "If you don't like the weather here, just wait ten minutes".

For years after.. I would think of this story every time I ate a Hostess raspberry filled doughnut.  Boy, how many times as a kid did I have such grand and glorious expectations which in the end, didn't quite turn out like I had planned.  As disgusted as I was during that particular instance however, I now look back fondly on this childhood memory and can't help but smile every time I do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?