HOME          ABOUT         LINKS          CONTACT      

Mar 1, 2016

1978 TOMY windup robot toy

I love toys.  I always have and always will. To this day I still love perusing the toy aisle looking at action figures and toy cars.  If a toy impresses me enough, I quickly snatch it up and bring it into my collection fold.  I still own several toys from my youth, and this little guy below is one I'm very fond of.



This is a little wind up robot made by the TOMY toy company in 1978.  My mother bought it for me in the winter of 1978 as a reward for bringing home an impressive report card.  I played with this little guy SO much, I'm surprised I didn't wear the gears out over the years. These little bots have been re-released from time to time, usually cast entirely in translucent plastic, and various color schemes.

There were two versions of this little bot made in 1978.  The first was the one you see above, and the second had a red dome, black arms and legs, and a gold colored body.  At the time, I was secretly disappointed that Mom didn't buy me the red domed robot because I thought it looked way cooler.  

However.. now that I look at both versions, I prefer the orange and blue domed bot over the other.  Hmm.. I just realized while writing that last statement, that this little bot sports the Denver Broncos uniform colors. Wonder if that's why I became so partial to him over the years? 


7 comments:

  1. I have a couple of the old TOMY wind-ups too. I LOVE old robot toys, especially TOMY robots! I have a small TOMY robot collection that is slowly growing. There are so many awesome TOMY bots, check 'em out here: http://www.theoldrobots.com/tomybot.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You're going to get me hooked on collecting yet another line of toys. LOL

      Delete
  2. Still have my two robots and another still in its original packaging. The perfect little robots to mix up with Star Wars figures. But if I remember correctly there were many variations in colors back then. If you type "Tomy Rascal" in Google Images you'll see those variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few variants. It would be nice to army build with these guys!

      Every variant to date: http://www.theoldrobots.com/tomy2.html

      Delete
    2. Gosh.. I wish I had some in original packaging! Will have to start searching..

      Delete
  3. There was a short film produced in the late 70s-early 80s that had these guys attacking some guy in his home. Sort of sci-fi/comedy. A bunch of these little fellows get flushed! Haha
    Would love to find it, but I've had no luck finding it. I hate to think that it no longer exists

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly! That sounds awesome!! I'd love to see that flick!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?